Aunt Eb

Saturday, March 19, 2011
So, I've been thinking about my Aunt Eb lately. I decided to write her a letter and by the time I got done I had tears running down my face, so I thought I should put it up here for posterity.

(If you are Cousin Betty, feel free to look at the other posts. Lol!)

Dear Aunt Eb,
I have been thinking about you a lot lately and realized that I have not seen you in a long time.
I wanted to have the chance to tell you a few things.

First, I want you to know that some of my earliest memories are of you teaching me to count to three in Spanish.
(I still remember "Uno, dos, tres!") I remember you sitting at Grandmother's bar in the bar stool at the end, swiveling toward me and asking me if I still remembered how to count to three. I remember parroting back as you slowly told me "Uno...Dos...Tres!"

I remember sitting with you and hearing you say that I reminded you of your sister. That meant a lot to me. You were always so enthusiastic and bubbly and kind to me.

I remember you telling us about how your granddaughter had red hair and no one knew how she had inherited red hair until you found a picture of your husband when he was a toddler.

I remember being excited when you came over and excited when we went to visit you. You always had some sort of cookie or treat for us. There was one time when KMart was closing and you told each of us girls to pick out a toy. I picked out these five little "quints" baby dolls. I played with those things for so long! They all had names too!

You always made me feel special. Thanks for being so kind. It really meant a lot to "little old me!" (Yes, I remember that you used to say that too!). You are a fond part of my childhood and someone that I looked up to and wanted to emulate. Thanks, Aunt Eb!

Just know that, however small, you made a positive impact on my life and I will forever be grateful for the chance to know you.

Love,
Jamie

0 comments:

Post a Comment